Why Rapseed Wax?
When sourcing raw materials, the main component (highest %) of each product is always as locally sourced as possible and of the highest quality. Wax is the largest ingredient in an Essence + Alchemy candle so making sure I chose the right wax was a very important decision.
Read on to learn more about this humble British grown plant and why Rapeseed is the perfect wax for E+A candles.
- Rapeseed is a member of the brassica family and was brought here to the UK by the Romans, who primarily used it for it's oil.
- The rape plant can grow up to 6 foot and flowering in the summer months, it converts the British landscape into a brilliant carpet of yellow.
- It's a plant which has been grown in the UK for hundreds of years as animal feed and to protect soils making it an important crop for British agriculture.
- Essence + Alchemy Rapeseed wax is manufactured in the UK from non GMO and sustainable rapeseed grown in the UK and the EU, it has a lower carbon footprint than other imported plant waxes such as soy, coconut and palm wax.
- It's a pure plant wax (100% Rapeseed) not blended with any other hidden waxes or additives.
- The wax is non-hazardous, biodegradable and harmless to wildlife, it's also vegan friendly.
- It's the perfect candle wax because it burns cleanly and for a long time.
So what are the cons? It's difficult to scent, difficult to wick but worth the effort because it means that Essence + Alchemy Candles are made from a locally sourced and sustainable British plant.