Why Rapseed Wax?
When sourcing raw materials, I always try to source as locally as possible. Wax is the largest ingredient in an Essence + Alchemy candle so making sure I chose the right wax was a very important decision. Read on to learn more about this humble British grown plant and why Rapeseed is the perfect wax for E+A candles.
- Rapeseed is a member of the brassica family and was brought here to the UK by the Romans, who primarily used it for it's oil.
- The rape plant can grow up to 6 foot and flowering in the summer months, it converts the British landscape into a brilliant carpet of yellow.
- It's a plant which has been grown in the UK for hundreds of years as animal feed and to protect soils making it an important crop for British agriculture.
- Essence + Alchemy Rapeseed wax is manufactured in the UK from non GMO and sustainable rapeseed grown in the UK and the EU, it has a lower carbon footprint than other imported plant waxes such as soy, coconut and palm wax.
- It's a pure plant wax (100% Rapeseed) not blended with any other hidden waxes or additives.
- The wax is non-hazardous, biodegradable and harmless to wildlife, it's also vegan friendly.
- It's the perfect candle wax because it burns cleanly, for a long time and has great scent retention.
So what are the cons?
It's difficult to scent, difficult to wick but well worth the effort and hours of testing because it means that Essence + Alchemy Candles are made from a locally sourced and sustainable British plant.