Makers 4 Refugees
Back in early 2017 I was invited by my lovely Instagram friend and ceramicist Pippa Wilcox to join her incredible fund raising project called Makers 4 Refugees, a year long project bringing together a global collective of makers each creating work to raise money for the refugee charity Help Refugees a grass-root organisation providing aid for refugees across Europe and the Middle East.
My week selling a small-batch of limited edition Halcyon Candles and Tea-light Sets was 13th February, which raised just under £500. Now into week 17, thanks to the wonderful generosity of all the makers involved and the amazing support received, the fundraising total has already exceeded the target of £10,000 in just under 5 months.
When Pip asked if I'd like to be involved, this is why I didn't hesitate, this is the difference this money will make to the lives of some of the people currently living through such desperate times:
- a meal for one person in Athens - 25p
- a mosquito net for a family's tent in Greece - £10
- a pair of sturdy, comfortable shoes - £15
- baby milk for one baby, for a week - £20
- a buggy and cot - £25
- a warm sleeping bag - £30
- a refillable fire extinguisher - £35
- the cost of a bread-maker and the ingredients for one person to make their own bread - £65 for the machine, 75p for ingredients for one person for the month
- to support an unaccompanied child to live with a Greek family for a month - £400
- fresh fruit and vegetables for 1 camp on average for 1 month - £2500
- running a mobile sexual reproductive health clinic for a month - £5500
- a rescue boat on the water for 30 days - £23,000
Makers 4 Refugees in a nutshell and why you should definitely be following along
There are 40+ global Makers across a variety of disciplines coming together to make a difference. Running from 6th Feb to 17th Dec 2017 one Maker per week is selling their work with ALL of the proceeds (less shipping - and website/PayPal processing fees where applicable) going to Help Refugees, via our Fundraising Page.
- The website address for further information is www.pipwilcoxceramics.com
- You can find us on Instagram and we're using the hashtag #makers4refugees.
- The line up is stellar so don't miss out. Find out more about all the makers involved